Have you ever had a day at the office where you found that you could absolutely nothing done? Even worse, that lousy day became a lousy week. We all get unproductive from time to time and due to a number of factors. Some days you might be distracted, the others you find that your brain just didn’t report to work even though you did. However, you don’t have to let these precious work hours go to waste just because you think you can’t salvage your focus. Here are a few ways to get back in working shape and shake those distracting clouds away.
- Ask for some help if you really can’t get yourself out of that unproductive funk.
- Call a friend or loved one and chat for a bit. By taking your mind out of the work mindset, you might just restart it and make good use of the day.
- Clean out your work station. Sometimes, all we need is a bit of order to condition us to get more done.
- Don’t push yourself too hard.
- Get comfortable. If your heels or tights pants are giving you grief, wear your backup flats or go home during lunch to change into something less constricting.
- Go get some air. If you work in a building, go to the top floor and catch a breeze.
- Go talk to a colleague and ask them if they can help you get your head on your shoulders. If you talk enough, you might find some new ideas that’ll inspire you to jumpstart your day.
- Go to Calm.com and engage yourself in ten minutes of meditation. This isn’t meant for falling asleep so you’ll feel much more energized afterwards.
- Grab a nice, hot cup of coffee or nibble on a granola bar. You might just be low on energy and by feeding your body, you feed you mind.
- If it seems to be a day that you think you’ll get nothing accomplished, sit down and map out the remainder of your day. Block out some time for tasks and follow that list. Be militant with that so you get back on track.
- If the reason for your lack of productivity is other people, close your office door if you have one. If not, put a note by your cubicle that says not to bother you or just inform others that you need to concentrate.
- If you get to work and are already in the middle of something, try your best to continue. Sometimes, all your head needs is a bit of a push.
- If you have some downtime, go listen to an audio book or read an actual book to refresh yourself.
- Read up on the news.
- Remind yourself that you are lucky to have a job and try your best to excel at it.
- Spend your lunch hour getting a foot massage. Your feet are very battered and this will help relax you and your mind. Don’t bring your business phone with you.
- Take a stroll around the block to get your circulation going and listen to your favorite upbeat song.
- Work at your pace if possible and save the rushing for other days.
Just because you don’t feel like working on any particular day doesn’t give you a license to throw the day away. More often than not, the reasons we have for being unproductive boil down to something that we are doing wrong. It could be that you’re spreading yourself too thin or not getting enough rest for one reason or another but with a few reactive and proactive measures, useless work days will be a thing of the past.
Tags: become productive, business, how to be productive, life, life plans, lifestyle, time management