Life passes us by so fast that you sometimes do not get to enjoy it. Although the advances in today’s technology allow you to make your work faster, you use that time to make more work and your life becomes even faster paced and frantic than ever. However, life shouldn’t be like that. You should take time to know what really matters to you.
It is sometimes not all about having too much money or how high you can go up the corporate ladder. Maybe finding your true purpose or realizing a different perspective of what your life should be also matter. Seeking a whole new level of happiness can be attained when you try to slow down so you could get a better appreciation of life and achieve inner peace. There are certain ways to live in the moment, here are some of them:
- Do less – Try to do just one thing at a time. When you have a lot of things to do, concentrate on what is important and what really needs to be done and let go of the rest. Try to relax in between tasks so that you can go through your day in a more unhurried pace.
- Take note of the small things- If you are on your usual route to your office or to your home, take time to stop and look at your surroundings. We tend to overlook these things because you know that they are always there. Learn to appreciate the red and brown leaves around you signaling autumn is near. Or listen to your children’s laughter as they watch their favorite TV shows.
- Disconnect – Try to shut down your mobile phone a few times a day. Do not be an addict to social media sites and just check your account once in a while. Being always connected means you are continually interrupted or too much information coming in may stress you. You can catch up later with work correspondence by activating the RingCentral voicemail feature in your smarpthone.
- Count your blessings – No matter how small it may seem, take time to appreciate all the good things that you have accomplished. This will give you a whole new perspective on what life has to offer.
- Stop thinking too much about tomorrow –You may have a deadline or presentation tomorrow but there is no use worrying about it once you’ve done your part of that deal by preparing enough. Just think of it in a way that these deadlines will pass and another one will come by soon.
- Invite flow into your life – Engage in activities that make you forget the time altogether like painting, dancing, playing the guitar or get a hobby like photography or baking.
- Change your routine – Try to order something new from the menu, pick a style of clothing that you never had the nerve to wear or drive out to places that you have never visited before. Change can totally redefine you. It makes you realize that you need change to break the usual humdrum of your life and make it more exciting.
- Control the controllable – Change what you can but do not exert effort for the things that you can’t change. You cannot change others but you can change how you feel about them. You may feel irritated when your friend texts you that she’ll be a little late, but what is wrong with an extra me-time? Don’t let a small incident ruin your day, brush it off and assume that it never happened.
- Declutter – Clear out things in your house that you don’t really need and give them away or organize a garage sale. Having an organized home free from mess and distractions can make your mind relax and live comfortably.
- Do things slowly – Eat slower, drive slower, or soak in your tub longer than usual. Putting your life in slow motion may help you think more clearly, enjoy your surroundings and appreciate your food. You should not take life for granted but instead stop and smell the roses.